Lockheed Martin selects Ampex Data Systems airborne server/recorder for advanced mission system
HAYWARD, Calif., 5 Aug. 2016. Engineers at Lockheed Martin Mission Systems and Training (MST) in Owego, New York, needed a data storage and compute platform for the company’s new advanced mission system. They found their solution at Ampex Data Systems, a Delta Information Systems Company, in Hayward, California.
Ampex Data Systems won a Lockheed Martin contract to provide the Ampex TuffServ 640 (TS640) Airborne NAS 10GigE Server/Recorders. The first systems will be used under a foreign military sales (FMS) contract for the P-3 aircraft platform. The P-3 Orion is a four-engine, turboprop, anti-submarine and maritime surveillance aircraft developed by a Lockheed Martin-lead industry team for the United States Navy.
Under this contract, Ampex will provide the TS640 File Servers and Support. The TS640 is a state-of-the art, high-data rate, multiterabyte storage and compute platform, officials describe.
"This contract is a key part of the Ampex Data Systems strategy for airborne mission data recorders," says Jim Orahood, general manager, Ampex Data Systems. "We look forward to supporting Lockheed Martin MST in this program area."
Announcing the newest, most-advanced TuffServ ever, the TS 640 represents the future of airborne network storage arrays, according to company officials. Leveraging the common architecture found throughout the TuffServ series, the TS 640 advances performance and scalability to an entirely new level utilizing a standard ½ ATR package. Read/write speeds of up 1GB/sec, 12.8TB of removable solid-state memory, and standard dual 10Gbit Optical Ethernet ports offer unparalleled performance for a wide variety of airborne and mobile applications.
TS 640 features
- 10GigE / 10GbE
- Ruggedized Computer / Server / Recorder
- Standard Dual 10Gb/s Optical Ethernet
- Hot-Swappable 12.8TB Solid State Disk Array
- NFS, CIFS/SMB Network File Systems FTP and iSCSI Servers
- Web Interface for Administration and Environmental Monitoring
- Conduction-cooled Flight-proven Package, hard-mountable
- Compact: 7.8in H x 4.88in W x 12.75in D
- Sustained write at 1GB/s, sustained read to 1.25GB/s. Simultaneous read and write.
- Flexible I/Os with Multi-Sensor Capability: sFPDP, LVDS, and custom-developed interfaces
- Expansion site for additional I/O e.g. quad sFPDP, dual 10Gb/s Ethernet
- Rugged NAS for Extreme Environments
- Network Storage and Processing for Networked Systems
- Airborne and Mobile Data Collection
- Flight and Vehicle Testing
- Mapping and Earth Resource Data Collection
- Video, Radar, EO and IR Data Storage
Ampex Data Systems Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta Information Systems Inc. with headquarters in Hayward, Calif., designs, develops, and manufactures airborne recording systems and storage solutions for rugged application. Ampex provides a complete line of miniR, TuffServ, and other products for use with IRIG 106 Chapter 10 systems, NAS, and SAN network appliances and solutions, and high-definition video offerings.
Search the Aerospace & Defense Buyer's Guide
You might also like:
Subscribe today to receive all the latest aerospace technology and engineering news, delivered directly to your e-mail inbox twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). Sign upfor your free subscription to the Intelligent Inbox e-newsletter at http://www.intelligent-aerospace.com/subscribe.html.