AEA market study shows avionics sales are up more than 15 percent compared to last year

Lee's Summit, Mo. –The Aircraft Electronics Association (AEA) recently reported that during the first three quarters of 2018, $2 billion in sales had been recorded according to data reported by companies participating in the AEA's market report. That marks a 15.5 percent increase in avionics sales compared to the same timeframe last year. The most recent quarter had sales up 15.6 percent compared to last July, August, and September's figures.

Nov 27th, 2018
Worldwide avionic sales up more than 15 percent compared to last year
Worldwide avionic sales up more than 15 percent compared to last year
Lee's Summit, Mo. –The Aircraft Electronics Association (AEA) recently reported that during the first three quarters of 2018, $2 billion in sales had been recorded according to data reported by companies participating in the AEA's market report. That marks a 15.5 percent increase in avionics sales compared to the same timeframe last year. The most recent quarter had sales up 15.6 percent compared to last July, August, and September's figures.

The lion's share of the $2 billion in sales was driven by the retrofit market with 57.3 percent of the sales. Avionics equipment and technology installed by manufacturers (forward-fit) amounted to the remainder of sales - 42.7 percent.

"With robust growth in sales during the first nine months of the year, industry is on pace to produce the largest dollar amount of year-end avionics sales since the reporting process began back in 2012," said AEA president Paula Derks. "We have now seen seven-straight quarters of positive year-over-year sales growth dating back to the end of 2016, and it's an encouraging sign for the industry that sales are strong in both the forward-fit and retrofit markets."

Companies participating in the AEA market report include: ACR Artex, ALTO Aviation, Anodyne Electronics Manufacturing Corp., Appareo, Aspen Avionics, BendixKing, Blue Avionics, Cobham Aerospace Communications, FreeFlight Systems, Garmin, Genesys Aerosystems, Gogo Business Aviation, Honeywell Business & General Aviation, Jupiter Avionics, Latitude Technologies, L3 Commercial Aviation, Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics, PS Engineering, Rockwell Collins, Sandia Aerospace, Shadin Avionics, Trig Avionics, uAvionix, and Universal Avionics Systems Corp.

According to the AEA, its may change on a quarterly and/or annual basis. This may occur due to mergers and acquisitions during the year along with new companies participating in the reporting process. Any comparative analysis of the data should take this variance into consideration.

For more, please visit the AEA's page here.

Ready to make a purchase? Search the Intelligent Aerospace Buyer's Guide for companies, new products, press releases, and videos

More in Avionics