CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa 20 May. 2009 - Lufthansa chose dual HGS-5600 Head Up Guidance Systems (HGS) from Rockwell Collins for the cockpit avionics its fleet of 20 Embraer 190/Embraer 195 aircraft for Lufthansa CityLine, a wholly-owned group company of Deutsche Lufthansa AG. First deliveries are scheduled for September 2009.
Lufthansa CityLine will be the first European airline to operate with a dual HGS configuration.
"Our HGS system will aid pilots in safely and efficiently transporting passengers to and from the major European cities that Lufthansa CityLine serves," says Jeff Standerski, vice president and general manager, Air Transport Systems for Rockwell Collins. "With the addition of our dual HGS displays, Lufthansa CityLine pilots will have improved flight path control and situational awareness. Safety features and operational benefits with future development capabilities are key reasons for the continued success of our HGS solutions."
Rockwell Collins' HGS provides enhanced situational awareness and energy management in all flight conditions. The presentation of all primary flight data in the pilot's forward field of view eliminates transitions from head-down to head-up flying. Using the displayed flight path and acceleration information, it is possible for the pilot to fly very accurate approaches to a precise landing in all conditions, even in turbulence, crosswinds, and on black hole approaches, Rockwell Collins officials say.
Key owner/user benefits:
* eyes-out-of-the-flight-deck operation enhances situational awareness;
* conformal display of critical flight parameters increases safety;
* category III guidance-to-touchdown guides the pilot through the approach, flare and power reduction to wheels on the runway;
* precision touchdown capability maximizes landing performance;
* improves windshear awareness and avoidance through head-up warnings and escape guidance;
* increases traffic awareness and avoidance with head-up TCAS alerts; and
* software data loading and enhanced maintenance functions offer improved maintainability.
The Rockwell Collins HGS-5600 is offered as a factory-installed option by Embraer on the E170/E175 and the E190/E195.