"The mission of MakerPlane is to create innovative and game-changing aircraft, avionics, and related systems and the transformational manufacturing processes to build them," says a company spokesperson. "As a result of this aim, aircraft can be built with consistent, repeatable, and highly accurate processes which create safer flying at lower cost."
The objectives of the Open Source Aircraft project are:
- Foster a new wave of innovation and creativity in aviation which will lower the overall cost of ownership;
- Provide new ways of building aircraft that the average unskilled builder can comfortably achieve success with;
- Create innovative, popular, safe and modern aircraft designs;
- Provide free and open source based files and plans for low-cost airframes; and
- Create accessible and affordable open source avionics systems.