Orolia to debut pair of next-gen Emergency Locator Transmitters at Paris Air Show
Orolia, a leading producer of resilient positioning, navigation and timing (PNT) solutions, is introducing a first in aviation safety technology, the Kannad Ultima-S Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) for commercial aircraft.
GUIDEL, France – Orolia, a leading producer of resilient positioning, navigation and timing (PNT) solutions, is introducing a first in aviation safety technology, the Kannad Ultima-S Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) for commercial aircraft. The Kannad Ultima-S, designed to be installed in the cabin of commercial aircraft or in its life raft and is capable of notifying the crew about the launch of a Search and Rescue operation via Galileo Return Link Service (RLS).
Orolia’s Kannad Ultima-S ELT was developed under a two-year contract through the European GNSS Agency’s Tauceti Project. Other key features include:
- Certified to the new lithium battery regulations to avoid the risk of battery fires.
- A multi-GNSS receiver to accept multiple signals such as GPS, Galileo, etc. to detect the aircraft’s location faster and deploy rescue teams sooner than ever before.
- Dual activation modes: manually or automatically upon contact with water.
- A Return Link Service (RLS) option to notify the crew that the distress signal has been received and help is on the way (available on Galileo).
- Multiple configurations available to install in aircraft cabins and life rafts. With a rugged, compact, and easy to install form factor, both versions can be easily installed through a carry-off bag or a mounting bracket and require little storage room.
Orolia’s Kannad Ultima-S meets new and evolving EASA/FAA requirements related to ELTs and non-rechargeable lithium batteries documented under the RTCA DO-227A standard.
The new ELT benefits from the proven Cospas Sarsat infrastructure, which is currently being upgraded to provide highly accurate location data and nearly real-time reporting to Search and Rescue operators through global coverage. Kannad Ultima-S survival distress beacons complement Orolia’s Ultima family of next-generation ELTs, following the company announcement of the Global Aeronautical Distress and Safety System (GADSS)-compliant fixed Ultima-DT. Orolia provides aircraft manufacturers and operators with a complete solution for every ELT application. For more information, visit Tauceti’s dedicated website: http://www.tauceti-gsa-project.eu/
Orolia will exhibit at the Paris Air Show from June 17th to June 20th, Hall 2B booth E32, where both new ELTs will be displayed for the first time.